Gardener Job in Calgary, Alberta
We are looking for a Crew Lead to lead 1- 2 team members in the care of approximately 30 gardens located in Springbank, Bearspaw and within the city. This role is absolutely critical to the work performed for our clients. You will eventually take a vehicle home with you and commute directly to job sites.
The Garden Crew Lead position typically runs from 1st or 2nd week in April to the first week of November, weather dependent. After that, if there is fit and interest there is the possibility of doing winter projects until mid-December.
Your responsibilities as a crew leader:
· Coordinate and work with other crew members performing maintenance/planting according to schedule and standards
· Train team members in horticultural practices (weed, cultivate, edge, top dress, etc) and company procedures and review their progress
· Ensure clients are pleased with our garden care
· Produce timely, accurate progress reports and timesheets.
· Maintain your tools and vehicles and monitor supplies
What you need to have in order to do it:
· Organization and leadership skills
· Strong plant ID skills
· Knowledge and experience with perennials, pests, diseases, and weeds.
· Minimum 2 years gardening experience
· Clean class 5 Non-GDL driver’s license (an abstract will be required)
· Good physical condition
· Curiosity about gardening
· First Aid Certification
· Ability to use a gas-powered blower, hedger and trimmer
· Own equipment: Cell phone with data plan (no wifi available, but you will recieve a stipend), gloves, masks, steel toed boots
What we offer:
· Competitive wage
· Health Spending account (yes, it can be used for massages!)
· Bonus possibility·
· On-line employee onboarding that you can do at your own speed until we are ready to meet.·
About the Job:
We work in groups of 3-5 during clean-ups and then groups of 2-3 during regular maintenance. We work roughly 40 hrs/ week and 7.75 – 8.25 hrs/ day weather dependent. During annual planting and spring clean-up, you may work longer hours.
Your Typical Day
Prior to meeting your crew, you review the work orders, and prep for any 10-minute meetings you have. You load your vehicle with extra equipment and supplies, then go to that day’s meet point in a company vehicle. There, you will lead various morning admin tasks from safety meetings, training discussions with your team; and morning tidies.
Working alongside your crew mate(s), you explain the job and timing, keep the crew on track, ensure quality and update work orders. You clock your team in and out of jobs on an app on your phone so that clients are accurately billed, you update online work orders and note considerations for future visits. You focus your team on seasonal priorities and leave the garden looking great and the client happy. Some days you may have to work a bit late, but generally not more than 30 minutes over your standard day. Standard maintenance tasks include weeding, cultivating, staking, pot care, light shrub pruning, ipm. You sometimes divide plants, top up mulch or compost and use blowers, hedgers or strimmers depending on the task and ensure your crew use them safely. End of day work tasks can include adding details to notes, tidying/gassing vehicle, compost runs, communicating needs to the owner.
On average, your crew will work from 8 - 4:15 with you working an additional 30 - 45 minutes per day.